Return to

American Boating Channel

SinclairProsser Law

5/9/2018 - Cause of Deadly Fire in Severn: Faulty Electric - Click here to print this information

(Severn, MD) WNAV -- A faulty electrical receptacle in a rear bedroom is the cause of a deadly fire that killed two residents and one staff member from Arundel Lodge last month.

The fire at the Severn group home killed residents: Walter McCardell and William Garcia. Others escaped unharmed.

Officials say Arundel Lodge staff member Barbara Brown went back inside in an attempt to rescue others. She also was lost in the fire.

Arundel Lodge Director Mike Drummond says they appreciate the support of the community which has rallied to provide for needs and they thank the county's first responders, crisis unit and many others for their help during this difficult time.

Arundel Lodge is a nonprofit in Edgewater that helps people with mental health and substance abuse issues. They have 32 residential homes in operation around the county. This is the first time a fatality has happened at one of their group homes.

Powered by Access NTR