Return to


6/5/2012 - Colas Released and all charges against him dropped - Click here to print this information

One of the more bizarre cases involving an off duty police officer ended quietly Monday when the Accomack County Commonwealth Attorneys office decided to withdraw all charges against Bradley Colas for now. The Commonwealth's Attorney's office can revisit the case if evidence comes to light that Colas was in fact responsible for his actions.

Colas, a Virginia Beach Police officer, attacked and stabbed two local firefighters who were trying to help him after the 1999 Honda he was driving ran off the road on Rt. 13 near Hallwood early on the morning of March 4. Colas then tried to get the firemen to take him to Philadelphia to "see Jesus".

Colas was arrested by the Virginia State Police charged with two counts of malicious intent toward police officers or rescue personnel and taken to the Accomack County Jail.

Colas attorney, Sonny Stallings claimed from the beginning that Colas was experiencing an unusual reaction to the drug Biaxin which was administered by a Virginia Beach physician approximately one week prior to the incident because Colas had bronchitis.

Drug tests were administered to Colas initially and showed that there was no trace of the Biaxin in his system at the time of the tests.

Stallings tried to get Colas out on bond on March 9 and again on March 29. At the second hearing both Accomack County Commonwealths Attorney Gary Agar and Judge Revell Lewis stated that they still were not sure whether Colas was experiencing a reaction to the drug or had become psychotic.

Both Lewis and Agar apparently are now satisfied that Colas did experience a reaction to Biaxin which caused the attacks.

While Stallings was happy with the outcome, he still expressed disappointment that the process took so long. Colas spent three months in jail.

Colas record with the Virginia Beach Police Department was exemplary and he had shown no signs of psychotic behavior prior to taking the Biaxin.

Commonweath's Attorney Gary Agar said that his office engaged the services of a doctor who returned the opinion the Colas' actions were as a direct result of taking the antibiotic.
In essence that ended the case for the Commonwealth.

The law states that a person who commits a crime while under "involuntary intoxication" is not responsible for his actions under those circumstances.

More Information

Powered by Access NTR